Idylease: It’s Role in Tourism at the Turn of the Century in West Milford, NJ. A Multi-Media Presentation at The West Milford Township Public Library on March 12, 2020 at 7PM

West Milford Public Library
Idylease: It’s Role in Tourism at the Turn of the Century in West Milford, NJ. A Multi-Media Presentation at The West Milford Township Public Library on March 12, 2020 at 7PM

During the last quarter of the nineteenth century, West Milford township was a major resort destination in New Jersey. At its height, the area had over forty hotels and boarding houses that catered to the tourists that flocked to the area for its magnificent scenery and healthful climate. Since the turn-of-the-century, West Milford attracted visitors for its rustic beauty and natural resources. It’s approximately eighty square miles of mountains and lakes have delighted visitors for more than a century. In the mid-1800s, renowned Hudson River School painter Jasper F. Cropsey, captured many West Milford landscapes in their autumnal splendor. He married West Milford resident Maria Cooley at the WM Presbyterian Church in 1847.

In the late 1800s and early 1900s, many resorts opened in the township and railroads brought wealthy vacationers from New York City to enjoy the countryside. The transportation revolution of the mid 1920’s, caused tourism to decline in this part of New Jersey, with other, more distant locations rising in popularity.

Around the turn of the century, the City of Newark, NJ systematically acquired large parcels of land until it owned close to a third of West Milford. The City’s Master Plan called for the razing of buildings that were on the watershed preserve, including most of the hotels and resorts. It was their goal to ensure there would be no development or contamination of the many reservoirs in the area that supply the drinking water for resident of the city. Of all the hotels that once graced the region, only one, the resort hotel know as Idylease remains standing as proof of a once thriving tourism industry.

Opened on New Years’s Day in 1903, Idylease thrived during the Ragtime Era. The inn was a short trip from the Newfoundland Train station on the way to tourist-filled Greenwood Lake. Promoted as a health retreat, it sits amid pastoral country in the foot hills of the Kittatinny Mountains in the Highlands Region of NJ.

Idylease, with its prominent central gable, was opened in 1902 by Brooklyn doctor Edgar Arthur Day who billed the Inn as “a modern health resort, delightful in autumn.” Visitors described it as a “haven of rest” whose “masseuses are among the best in the country” and where fine meals were served in the 46 room hotel’s main dining room.

Idylease attracted a variety of prominent guests, including Thomas Edison. Based in West Orange, Edison opened a self-named mine near Sussex County’s Franklin-Ogdensburg mining district in 1889. When making the trip across North Jersey, Idylease marked the half-way point to the mine from his lab in the Oranges. Edison would have his car serviced at a local garage and spend the night at Idylease before continuing onto the mine the following morning. His plan was to harvest a previously overlooked pocket of lower-quality ore on Sparta Mountain, break up the rock on conveyor belts and suck out the iron with electromagnets.

Other noted guests include: Joseph French Johnson, Dean of New York University’s School of Commerce, who hoped to salve his ill health but died there on January 19, 1925. Sports writer William B. Hanna, Civil War correspondent David Banks Sickels, and Grace Abbott, the head of the United States Children’s Bureau from 1921 to 1934. The Inn’s guestbook reveals the names of famous politicians, including New Jersey’s first female congresswoman, Mary T. Norton.

At the peak of the once thriving tourism industry in West Milford, NJ, tourists could board a ferry at Debrosses Street in New York City and catch a train from Hackensack to Newfoundland to escape the confines of the city. As Early as 1857, tourists accessed the area by stagecoach when John P. Brown, proprietor of Browns Hotel in Newfoundland instituted coach service to from Paterson with a stop in Newfoundland. The Paterson and Deckertown stage got off to an auspicious start and operated every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Agent John P. Brown advertised “Good coaches, fine horses and careful drivers”. The approximately 40-mile trip from Paterson to Deckertown was a bumpy ride along the old Paterson-Hamburg Turnpike. Individuals who wanted to make the trip left Paterson about 10 a.m. Nearly four hours later, they reached Brown’s Hotel in Newfoundland. An untold number of North Jersey residents considered a trip from the Highlands to Paterson something equivalent to a trip across the continent.

A tourists account of his visit to West Milford was recorded by E. Hewitt, an English traveler from London in 1819. It tells of his visit to Brown’s Hotel, two years after its completion:

“This afternoon, completely drenched with rain, we stayed at a tavern newly erected, in a village called Newfoundland. Here we procured a small private room and a good fire, dried our clothes, and got tea very comfortably. Our landlord, a very intelligent man, spent the evening with us, and related several interesting anecdotes of General Washington, with whom he was personally acquainted. I observed he was always addressed with the title of Squire, being a magistrate.

Bears, deer, and wolves are very numerous in this neighborhood in the fall. A barn not exceeding 60 feet by 30 costs here about $125.00; shingles or wood tiles,15 to 20 dollars per thousand. The whip-poor-will we heard for the first time at this place, repeating its plaintive notes through the whole night.

Our accommodations at this place were very comfortable. and our charge, including hay, one peck of Indian corn, our room, fuel, liquor, one pound of butter, what milk we chose and tar and tallow for our wagon, three quarters of a dollar. I gave our kind host one dollar, which he accepted with reluctance; and at our setting off, he prepared us a quantity of egg-nog, a mixture of apple spirits, eggs and milk. Terrible roads still, and the bridges over the small streams nothing more than poles laid across”.

Although many brave tourists did access the the natural resources of West Milford by coach, by the turn of the century, the railroad became the preferred method to frequent the many resorts that adorned the area. Destinations such as Brown’s Hotel, Idylease, The Hotel Bel Air and the Green Pond Hotel catered to the burgeoning tourists that flocked to the area for its scenic beauty and healthy climate. The 1920’s also marked the height of passenger service provided by the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway to the Newfoundland Station. Thirteen passenger trains in each direction stopped at Newfoundland Station on a daily basis. The Great depression struck in October 1929 and lasted well into the late 1930’s and the growth of tourism began to decline. In 1937, the NYS&W declared bankruptcy and shortly thereafter was spun off from its parent, the Erie Railroad, which had controlled it since 1898. Also, the mass production of the automobile by Henry Ford in the 1930s rendered the passenger railroad obsolete, making more distant locales such as the Poconos and the Adirondack accessible by car. Passenger service ceased completely by 1966.

idylease-1902
Bonneted Ladies and Jacketed Gentlemen on The Great Lawn at Idylease

The great lawns at the Idylease, once a place where bonneted ladies and jacketed gentlemen relaxed and played croquet, now serves as a landing pad for medivac helicopters under the supervision of the West Milford Office of Emergency Management. Idylease was the first property named on West Milford Township’s list of historic sites, and the last of more than a dozen similar facilities that stood in town during the tourism heyday of the early-20th century.

Idylease was initially advertised in 1908 as a modern health resort, offering “All Forms of Hydro-Therapy and Massage.” Idylease was a “quiet, homelike place for Semi-Invalids, Convalescents, Neurasthenics, and Mild Cases of Cardiac, Nephritic and Stomachic Troubles, and for those desiring change of environment. No Tubercular or Objectionable Cases.” The resident physician and superintendent from 1906 until 1943 was Dr. D.E. Drake. A brochure published in about 1930 stressed the round-the-clock availability of staff physicians, Norwegian-trained massage therapists, and the “most approved scientific apparatus for administering baths, sprays, and douches.” Potential guests, in the accepted social order of the day, were reassured by the policy boldly stated on the first page of the brochure: “Hebrew Patronage Not Solicited.

By the late 1930s Dr. Drake understood that declining tourism required the facility to adapt to advances in medical science in order to ensure the future of Idylease. Idylease’s initial prohibition of tubercular cases reflected modern understanding of tuberculosis as a transmissible infection caused by bacteria. Robert Koch in Germany first isolated the tubercle bacillus in 1882, although it took some years for the medical community to fully accept the infectious nature of the disease. By 1940, Drake conceded to accept guests suffering from Tuberculosis. With this change, Idylease would established itself as one of the most prominent Tubercular Sanitoriums on the East Coast. With the subsequent development of the TB vaccine around 1927, Dr Drake treated patient that had already been infected prior the vaccine. Throughout the 1940s the number of tubercular patients slowly began to decline and Idylease would face an uncertain future. Dr. Drake would shutter Idylease in 1943 and he would pass away in 1951. Idylease would sit vacant for a period of thirteen years with the windows boarded up and its plumbing shattered.

Dr Arthur Zampella had graduated from the Boston University School of Medicine in 1943. He had always had an interest in geriatric care and the elderly. It was his wish to find a facility where he could practice medicine and serve the needs of an aging population. As a lifelong scholar, Zampella’s interest in this area were reflected in his authorship of many published medical articles, chapters and books on various aspects of aging, care of the elderly, as well as ethical, socio-economic and philosophic discussion in these fields. In an article entitled, “Sampling of the Attitudes of the Aged,” Zampella explored the dilemma of the aging process whereby the elderly are striped of their social identities after being admitted to a nursing home. He felt that a sterile environment, devoid of a homelike atmosphere reduced life expectancy. For many years Zampella had searched for a facility suitable to realize his vision for extended geriatric care and in 1954, he was introduced to Idylease. Dr. Zampella purchased Idylease from the Estate of Dr. Daniel Drake and and converted Idylease into a Nursing Home. The renovated facility maintained a staff of 11 doctors and employed 65 people. Idylease Nursing home closed in 1972. #westmilford #history #tourism #public #library

Continue Reading

Celebrate West Milford History

More than 80 million Americans are believed to be actively searching for more information about their ancestry and roots. This explosion of interest in family history is due, in part, to the advent of the Internet. An ever-growing number of institutions, libraries, and individuals are collecting, preserving, and sharing genealogies, personal documents, and memorabilia that detail the life and times of family history. The Idylease History Blog feature blogposts and photographs that chronicle West Milford History. If you are interested in contributing as a guest author or publishing historical images on our blog, contact us at www.idylease.org

Continue Reading

George A. Day: General Manager of Idylease from 1904-1920

George Day at Idylease
George A. Day Served as General Manager of Idylease from 1904-1920. All rights reserved, may not be reproduced.

Early in life the Day family developed very close relationships and remained so throughout their lives. One of the family’s ties was that Dr. Edgar A. Day, who established Idylease Inn in 1902, hired his nephew George A. Day to serve as manager. After the death of Dr. Day in 1906, George assumed the responsibility of operating Idylease Inn.

About 1855, Anthony L. and his wife, Elizabeth S. Strait Day had settled on a 356-acre farm on Paradise Road in West Milford. They reared six children: Judson Frank who was called by the family members “Frank”, Alfred L., Edgar Arthur, Susan B., Mary F. and Elizabeth S. Day. They were a very close family and the parents had taught their children that to succeed in life one must be educated. Anthony L. Day had donated land for a school to be built in Stockholm. Books, newspapers, and magazines were readily available for the children to read. Though Anthony was not religious inclined, Elizabeth had deep religious convictions which she instilled in her children.

Their son, Judson F. Day, became a school teacher and taught schools around the old Stockholm area. He had married Annie Eckhart, Nov. 12, 1872. Many of the families in the Paradise, Clinton and Newfoundland area of West Milford intermarried as the families developed close relationships with their neighbors.

judson day and annie ekhardt
From the Grace E. Day photo collection are cameo portraits of Annie Eckhart at age 17 and Judson F. Day at age 25. Image courtesy of Beth Willis from the Day Photo Collection. All rights reserved, may not be reproduced.

Annie Eckhart Day was the daughter of William and Elizabeth Post Eckhart who lived on a 200-acre farm that occupied  both sides of Union Valley Road, north of Idylease. The family was listed on the 1860 West Milford Township census records as: William, farmer, age 51; Elizabeth, wife, age 50; Adaline, age 22; Harriet, age 20; Mariah, age 19; John, age 16; Anna, age 13; Martha L., age 11; Susan, age 9 and William, age 4. His property was sold to the East Jersey Water Company for building of the Clinton Reservoir. These families remained close to each other during their lifetime.

In 1973, Beth Willis had the opportunity to visit with another relative, Percy C. Davenport, son of Louis N. Davenport and Lillian Crayon (daughter of Joseph P. Crayon). Louis’s father, Lewis Davenport had married Christiana Eckhart, the daughter of William and Elizabeth Post Eckhart.

One of the items he had given Beth was a 4 x 4.25-inch card of a photograph of the Eckhart family including Annie Eckhart Day. It is undated. On the back of the card was typed, “The two in center first row were my grandmother and her twin sister Charity Thurston. After her husband’s death, she lived with my grandparents and her two sons were brought up same as my uncles.

Day Eckhart at Idylease
Photograph of the Eckhart family including Annie Eckhart Day. Image Courtesy of Beth Willis from the Crain Family Photo Collection. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced.

After Dr. Edgar A. Day had the Idylease Inn in 1902, he established the Newfoundland Valley Improvement Society and the North Jersey Poultry Association. William Eckhart had served as committee chairman of the public highway of the Newfoundland Valley Improvement Society. Several of his sons were listed as members of both or either of the organizations.

Judson and Annie had raised a family of five children: Charles F., George A., May, Robert, and Grace E. Day.

George Day General Manager of Idylease
Portrait of George A. Day from the Strait Family Collection. Courtesy of Beth Willis. All rights reserved, may not be reproduced.

About 1874, Judson moved his family to Brooklyn, New York where he went into business with his brother Alfred. There, George Anthony Day was born on May 25, 1876. About 1877, Frank and Annie returned to the farm on Paradise Road. There is reference in the Day family history that the area was called “Burdock Point”. In 1892, Frank and his family relocated back to Brooklyn. It was here that George A. Day married May Beyer on Feb. 20, 1907. They had twins, Charlotte and Albert Edgar. Charlotte was born Feb. 10, 1910 and died Nov. 1, 1918 at Newfoundland. Albert Edgar was born Feb. 10, 1910 and married Edith Harrison, they had no children.

When Dr. Edgar A. Day built Idylease Inn, he brought in his nephew George to be General Manager of the resort hotel in 1904. After Dr. Day died in 1906, George continued operating the Inn for another fourteen years.

After he left Idylease Inn, George became a New York supplies manager at Remington Rand. George and May had lived in Ridgewood, N.J., where they were members of the First Presbyterian Church for over thirty-five years. George retired in 1945. When May died Oct. 12, 1952, George went to live at 1021 Alps Road, Preakness, N.J. with his sisters, May and Grace.

George, May and Grace Day
From the Grace E. Day Collection is a September 1953 photograph, left to right: Grace E., George A., and May E. Day. All rights reserved, may not be reproduced.

George died March 25, 1955 and was buried next to his beloved wife, May, at the Preakness Reformed Cemetery in Wayne where they had been members of the church since living in Preakness.

As with most of the Day family, George A. Day had a long productive life based on his deep religious convictions.

Beth Willis, June 20, 2017
Support Graphics by Richard Zampella

Beth Willis is a history writer and regular contributor to the Idylease History Blog. She currently resides in Lockport, New York. Beth is the curator of the Strait, Walther and Day genealogies and photo collections. Recently, she completed a 639-page manuscript entitled, “The Inhabitants of the Neighborhood……… A Pictorial History of Snufftown, now Stockholm, Hardyston Township, Sussex County, New Jersey and its Vicinity” that includes over 900 historical photographs.

Continue Reading